Jan. 15, 2023
Misha Mahowald Prizes
2022 Misha Mahowald Prize for Neuromorphic Engineering
Neuromorphic e-Dermis for Restoring Complex Touch
The Neuromorphic e-Dermis Team invented a multilayered, artificial electronic dermis (e-dermis) to restore complex tactile perceptions of pressure and pain to prosthesis users and provide robotic systems with intelligent, neurally-inspired representations of high-dimensional tactile information using neuromorphic representations of touch.
The e-Dermis work is described in "Prosthesis with neuromorphic multilayered e-dermis perceives touch and pain", Science Robotics 2018 https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/scirobotics.aat3818
This work has collectively resulted in 34 peer-reviewed publications with a total of 633 citations as of Oct 29, 2022.
2022 Mahowald Early Career Award
Accelerating Recurrent Neural Networks with Neuromorphic Principles
Gao developed this work during his PhD with the Sensors Group at the Institute of Neuroinformatics, University of Zurich and ETH Zurich. He is now a tenure-track assistant professor at TU Delft where he has started a lab entitled "Efficient circuits & systems for Machine Intelligence" (EMI). Gao's Google scholar profile provides links to his work.
Gao's PhD work is described in a series of publications.
- C. Gao et al., "DeltaRNN: A Power-efficient Recurrent Neural Network Accelerator," FPGA, 2018
- C. Gao et al., "Real-time Speech Recognition for IoT Purpose using a Delta Recurrent Neural Network Accelerator," ISCAS 2019
- C. Gao et al., "Live Demonstration: Real-Time Spoken Digit Recognition Using The DeltaRNN Accelerator," ISCAS, 2019
- C. Gao et al., "EdgeDRNN: Enabling Low-latency Recurrent Neural Network Edge Inference," AICAS, 2020 (Best Paper Award)
- C. Gao et al., "EdgeDRNN: Recurrent Neural Network Accelerator for Edge Inference," IEEE Journal on Emerging and Selected Topics in Circuits and Systems (JETCAS), 2020
- C. Gao*, R. Gehlhar*, et al., "Recurrent Neural Network Control of a Hybrid Dynamical Transfemoral Prosthesis with EdgeDRNN Accelerator," IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), 2020
- K. Kim*, C.Gao* et al., "A 23μW Solar-Powered Keyword-Spotting ASIC with Ring-Oscillator-Based Time-Domain Feature extraction," IEEE International Solid-State Circuits Conference (ISSCC), 2022
- K. Kim*, C.Gao et al., "A 23-μW Keyword Spotting IC With Ring-Oscillator-Based Time-Domain Feature Extraction," IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits (JSSC), 2022
- C. Gao et al., "Spartus: A 9.4 TOp/s FPGA-based LSTM Accelerator Exploiting Spatio-temporal Sparsity," IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks and Learning Systems (TNNLS), 2022